I want to know more about the RAF & my legal rights after a motor vehicle accident

What is the Road Accident Fund (RAF)?

It is a Government compensation fund that gets money from the SA public via a fuel levy. The objective of the RAF Act is to provide the widest possible cover for injured victims and/or their families in case of death. The RAF provides indemnity insurance to the negligent driver and ensures that the injured victim or families of fatally injured victims do not have to sue the negligent driver and not receive compensation.

Who can claim?

  • An injured person (except where this person is 100% to blame for the accident).
  • A dependent of a deceased person (except if the deceased is 100% to blame).
  • A close relative of the deceased in respect of funeral expenses.
  • A parent or legal guardian of a minor child.
  • A foster parent in respect of past medical expenses incurred by him/her.
  • An executor of the deceased’s estate.

What can be claimed?

  • Past and future hospital and medical expenses.
  • Past and future loss of income or earnings.
  • Past and future loss of support for a dependent of a deceased victim.
  • General damages for pain, suffering and disfigurement in a bodily injury. Since 2008, this is only paid for serious injury.
  • Funeral expenses.

I want to proceed to submit a claim.

We need from you:

  1. Full names
  2. ID number
  3. Cell phone no
  4. Date of accident
  5. A short description of your injuries

We will ensure that you get the support that you need. You can contact us by:

  • Sending a ‘call me back’ to 063 393 3719


  • Sending a WhatsApp to 063 393 3719


One of our team members will contact you within a few days.